Saturday, January 17, 2015

It's a Book Review! Firefight (Reckoners Series #2) by Brandon Sanderson

Yay, my first book review! I really enjoyed the first book in the Reckoners Series, Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, which gave me an excellent action packed sci-fi story. And usually if the first book leaves me feeling happy, I will read all the books in the series.

So this series is set in a world where some people in the whole population have managed to gain some crazy powers. These people (who are called Epics) usually use their powers to do very bad things such as taking over a city and killing people. But there is one Achilles heel for these Epics, they have one weakness that will make them temporarily lose their power.

The first book in the series introduces us to the main character David whose goal is to get revenge on Steelheart, an Epic who killed his father. To get his revenge, he has collected a huge amount of data on Epics hoping to figure out their weaknesses. And hoping to figure out the weakness of Steelheart because his father had managed to stop Steelheart's power once before dying. David also really enjoys creating metaphors (but they're really bad).

Long story short, in the first book, David joins the Reckoners, which is a group whose goal is to kill Epics that harm people. He finds a love interest in Megan, who just happens to be an Epic. But he does manage to kill Steelheart after figuring out Steelheart's weakness and bam! Newcago (Steelheart's city) is free!

If anyone is interested here's the cover of the first book (if you decide to read/buy it, you'll know how it looks!).
Steelheart (Reckoners Series #1)

And here's the cover of the second book in the series. I do like the cover art concept.

Firefight (Reckoners Series #2) 

It's pretty isn't it? The title is the name of a certain Epic. A lovely one (wink wink), but if you didn't understand because I make crappy hints, it's Megan.

Anyways to keep myself from giving too many spoilers, I'll just put down what I liked about the book.

  • Brandon Sanderson's writing is amazing, and it'll keep your eyes glued to the book until you finish it. (Oh my inner struggle with putting this book down when my lunch break was over *tear tear*).
  • David still is in love with his bad metaphors (and is whoo-ing Megan one step at a time). 
  • He likes to talk to his weapons. You're on probation you hear!
  • There is actually politics between the members of Reckoners. 
  • The romance. The inner struggles of a relationship between an Epic and a human. She's so brave telling him her secret and she was willing to sacrifice herself for him. 
  • The plot twists. Every time until the end, I thought it was clear what the story was about, but damn. It wasn't that at all. It was something entirely different and now I can't wait for the next book to come out. *sobs*
  • The new characters are fun. Who doesn't need a mortician?
  • There are good Epics mixed within the bad. I mean I know we see this in the previous book, but it's good to see that there are more than just two. I also liked that the powers given to humans didn't discriminate between the healthy and the sick. 
  • I really like some of the Epics names. Like Regalia, Obliteration, and Dawnslight.
There's a lot good stuff about this book, but I can't seem to remember any more. If I remember more I will definitely edit this post and continue to add. I will definitely be rereading this book. 

I think that this book is a must read, if you enjoy a superheroes and action. I seriously can't wait to read the next book called Calamity!

P.S. Yay to Yonghwa (CNBlue) and Jonghyun (SHINee) on debuting solo!
P.S. P.S. I like to doodle.



No comments:

Post a Comment